Islamic Studies 8: Textbook - Learn About Islam Series
- A learning tool fit for today’s learners
The secondary series has been developed with a wide frame of reference in mind. This includes consideration of subjects taught in state schools, such as Religious Education (RE), SRE (Sex and Relationship Education) and humanities, current political and cultural trends, and contemporary socio-economic issues and contexts.
This makes this textbook not only relevant to the experiences of young Muslims today, but also a guide to thinking about and developing a good understanding of the world and actively engaging with complex questions and issues they face growing up. There is a wide range of new content in this book which we know our readers and teacher will love and appreciate. Examples include:
- An expanded and comprehensive unit on Islamic beliefs that also covers contemporary questions and issues such as belief in God in the modern world and understanding divine justice in a world that is often fractured, unstable and complicated.
- A completely new feature on Muslim history with a unique fold-out map and timeline. This not only provides information on the rich cultural and religious history of Muslim civilizations but also brings to light insights to more recent events, such as Muslim migration to Europe and America.
- An expanded unit on personal and spiritual development that covers spiritual purification (from a knowledge-based and practical perspective) as well as a creative and functionally designed feature on the beauty of the Prophet ﷺ.
- Keywords and vocabulary lists help with overall Arabic and English literacy skills of students, ensuring we introduce a rich variety of vocabulary with clear and simple definitions.
- The textbook actively engages issues related to contemporary society, identity and modernity across all the chapters. This will equip Muslim students with the knowledge and critical thinking skills they need to navigate the moral and ethical maze of a postmodern secular world, and do so with confidence, integrity and flair.
- As a continuing feature of all our books, we have ensured chapters contain interesting supplementary information, case studies, connected learning and thought-provoking facts to enhance the learning experience of both the student and the teacher.
PART OF A CURRICULUM - Islamic Studies series is that it is part of a curriculum composed of four parts, which cross-link with each other. The other three parts being Tajwīd, Memorisation and Arabic.
CUMULATIVE KNOWLEDGE - The series aims to cumulatively build children’s essential Islamic knowledge, cultivate good character and instill God-consciousness.
CORE SUBJECTS - Elements from all core subjects are covered in this book: Qurʾānic stories, Islamic tenets of faith (ʿaqīdah), religious rulings (fiqh) and major episodes from the life of Prophet Muḥammad, as well as areas of personal development, in an age-appropriate manner.
EXTENSIVE REFERENCES - All textbooks contain extensive references from the Qurʾān and aḥādīth and all stories are always built only on material from Qurʿān and ḥadīth.
FULLY ILLUSTRATED - The full color and illustrated editions have been developed to ensure that it is enjoyable for children as well as being comprehensive and reliable.
CLEAR LESSONS - Special attention has been given to ensure that the content is not only relevant to children but that the lessons and morals are also comprehendible and engaging for each age category.
CUMULATIVE LEARNING PATH - All books in the series follow a cumulative learning path; a solid practical knowledge base is built before theoretical concepts are added and expanded upon.
SCHEMES OF WORK - Each textbook comes with schemes of work and also has a workbook with two tiers of assessment, based on Bloom’s Taxonomy of learning objectives.
PRACTICAL LESSONS - Practical lessons have been clearly marked to ensure that different learning modes are utilized during teaching
CLEAR THEMES - To ensure gradual and logical progression, textbook lessons have been grouped into themes as well as containing Safar’s own week structures.
REINFORCED LEARNING - Central elements, such as God-consciousness and manners are constantly revisited throughout the series to ensure broadening of knowledge as well as reinforced learning.
REVISION - All the textbooks contain sections dedicated to core revision as well as revising key concepts and content from the previous year.
ACCOMPANYING WORKBOOKS - Workbooks have questions designed to encourage thought, expression and connection with the teaching material.
Safar publications are based on traditional Islamic sources and understanding and are also shaped by effective educational theories and practices. Most importantly, they are a result of practical feedback from students and teachers across the world, including our very own staff and students at Safar Academy. One of our core values is seeking perfection and quality; because of this, our curriculum and comprehensive support services are continually improved and refined, ensuring that we stay ahead of the curve and meet the needs of learners and educators in today’s ever-changing world.
Our curriculum and extensive teacher support services privilege the art of learning and teaching in a holistic, contextual and student-centered manner. Furthermore, the curriculum includes the learning of key Muslim values, skills and attitudes, such as God-consciousness, respect, tolerance and mercy for all life. It also aims to give learners the skills to live and build healthy relationships with others in furthering the common good. Through such a values-based approach, learners can grow to realize their full potential and play an active role as Muslims in their communities and wider society.
About Safar Publications
Safar Publications is part of Safar Academy Trust, an Islamic supplementary school with branches across the South East of the UK founded by Shaykh Hasan Ali in 1998. Safar Publications is a growing publishing arm of the trust, and through this dedicated and distinct service, we aim to create the best and most innovative tools to meet the learning needs of today’s students, particularly in Islamic education.
Safar Publications has developed and honed its curriculum over the last 20 years. The curriculum is structured into four distinct syllabuses, all aimed at giving learners a firm foundation in their Quranic reading and understanding, Islamic knowledge, spiritual development and in grasping the Arabic language. Our curriculum includes Qāidah, Tajwid, Juz Amma (Learn to Read Series), Duas and Surahs (Learn by Heart Series), Islamic Studies (Learn about Islam Series) and Arabic (Learn Arabic Series) related publications. All our publications contain many innovative features and interconnections, to ensure students learn in an engaging, steady and coherent fashion.
Paperback: 235 pages
Publisher: Safar Publications
Illustrators: Omair Barkatulla & Elly Walton
Editors: Hasan Ali & Muhammad Ahmed
Dimensions: 10.75 x 7.75 x 0.5 Inches